Basil pesto always reminds me of summer. It’s got that basil, pine nuts and lemon-ness that zings and pings your taste buds! Lovely!
It’s quite difficult to give actual accurate measurements because it really is down to person taste and preference. Some people don’t like lemon juice with it so taste the pesto before you add lemon.
Be quite confident when you’re making this just throw all the ingredients in the blender (except the lemon juice) and blend!
- Half glove a garlic, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of pine nuts very lightly toasted
- 3 handfuls of basil leaves (picked off the stems)
- Handful of grated Parmesan
- Few glugs of virgin olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon
- Mash the garlic, sea salt and pepper with a pestle and mortar.
- Place the basil leaves, toasted pine nuts, Parmesan and mashed garlic in a blender.
- Drizzle about a tablespoon over the top and blend.
- Open top and blender and drizzle in more olive oil and blend until you have a gritty pesto – you don’t want a smooth pesto.
- Taste and add more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice.
- Serve with your favourite fish, meats or pasta.