This recipe can just as easily be made with prawns. My husband is vegetarian and I often make the same dish in two different saucepans, one with prawns and the other with chicken.
Coconut Chicken with Rice
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- I tablespoon Paprika
- Quarter teaspoon ground Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Quarter teaspoon salt to taste
- 50 ml water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Half teaspoon ground mustard seeds
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 to 2 breasts of chicken
- 1 can of coconut milk (well stirred)
- In a small bowl mix together the cayenne, paprika, turmeric, coriander, cumin, lemon juice, salt and water to form a paste. This can be done well in advance if you wish.
- Warm the olive oil in frying pan and set over a medium high heat. When very hot put in the mustard seeds and cook until they begin to pop. As soon as they start popping (a few seconds), add the shallots and garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Stir in the spice paste and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to medium-low then cover and simmer gently for 10 mins.
- Stir in the coconut milk and set to one side.
- In a different pan, gently heat some olive oil and gently fry the chicken until slightly golden to seal in the juices. Then carefully cut up the hot sealed chicken into chunks and continue cooking (don’t overcook, otherwise the chicken will be tough).
- Add the coconut sauce to the chicken and stir. Serve warmed through with some rice.