This is a delicious summer meal to make when there is a glut of courgettes and tomatoes in the garden. It is quick and easy and can be made as a main meal with crusty bread and salad or as an accompaniment to another main meal.
When I first started making this there was always a lot of juice from the courgettes and the tomatoes and I really liked mopping up the garlicky flavoured juice with crusty rolls! If you don’t want as much juice you can place the sliced tomatoes on some kitchen rolls and let the juices drain into the rolls for about 25 minutes while you are also draining the courgettes. Make sure the courgettes are evenly sliced so that you don’t get some over-cooked and others under-cooked.
- 4 medium courgettes, sliced but not peeled
- 4 large tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 110g Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese (or a mixture of the two), cut into slices
- 4 level tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Half teaspoon dried oregano
- Half teaspoon dried basil
- 1 level tablespoon fresh torn basil
- Salt and black pepper to flavour
- Salt, drain and dry the sliced courgettes. Layer them, sprinkling each layer with salt, and place a suitably sized plate on top. Weigh this down with a heavy object (like a saucepan) and after 30 minutes quite a bit of water will have been drawn out. Dry them really thoroughly in a clean cloth and then they’re ready to cook.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5 (190°C).
- Combine the cheddar cheese (if using), the Parmesan, the dried oregano and the dried basil in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the courgette slices in the dish. Sprinkle ¼ of the cheese and herb mixture on top and add some mozzarella slices (if using). Arrange half of the tomatoes, on top with another ¼ of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers ending with the cheddar and Parmesan.
- Bake on the top shelf of the preheated oven for 25 minutes.