Chocolate And Almond Cake
- 110g dark chocolate (at least 70% - 75% cocoa solids) - grated
- 110g ground almonds
- 110g butter (room temperature)
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 large eggs separated
- 175g self rising flour (sifted)
- 175g dark chocolate broken up
- 1 rounded tablespoon crême fraiche
- A few toasted almonds to decorate the top
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7.
- Grate the chocolate and put to one side.
- Measure out the almonds, sugar, butter and flour.
- Separate the eggs and after beating the egg yolks set to one side.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the beaten egg yolks a spoonful at a time and make sure they are amalgamated before adding the next spoonful.
- Add the almonds, milk and grated chocolate and mix together well.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peak consistency.
- Fold these into the mixture very gently so that you don’t lose any air from the mixture.
- Finally add the sifted flour – again very carefully and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Place in the middle of the oven and turn down the gas to gas mark 3.
- Bake for 1 hour 5 – 10 minutes.
- Check the cake is baked by making sure the stabbing prong is dry when you insert and pull out.
- Leave in tin for 5 minutes to cool.
- Place on a rack to cool.
Recipe by Doe's Kitchen at http://doeskitchen.com/chocolate-and-almond-cake/