Moist Chocolate Loaf Cake
- 225g soft unsalted butter
- 375g dark Muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g best dark chocolate, melted
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas mark 5.
- Grease and line a 23x13x7 cm (9x5x3 inch) loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beating in well.
- Fold in the melted and cooled chocolate, taking care to blend well but do not over-beat as you want the ingredients combined - you don't want a light airy mass.
- Gently add the flour, to which you've added the bicarb, alternately spoon by spoon, with 250ml of boiling water until you have a smooth and fairly liquid batter.
- Pour into the lined loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 170C/Gas mark 3 and cook for another 15 minutes. The cake will still be a bit squidgy inside, so a cake tester or skewer won't come out completely clean.
- Place the loaf tin on a rack and leave to get completely cold before turning it out. It improves if left for a day or so before eating.
- This cake will probably sink in the middle because of its denseness.
Recipe by Doe's Kitchen at http://doeskitchen.com/moist-choc-loaf-cake/