- 1 cup of self raising flour, sifted
- ½ cup of ground almonds
- ⅔ cup of caster sugar
- 120g of softened butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of Demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3 and grease a 20cm springform cake tin.
- In a bowl cream together the softened butter and caster sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the bowl and mix in thoroughly.
- Fold in the ground almonds, buttermilk, flour, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Cut and slice the apple (don't do it before this stage otherwise it will oxidise and turn brown) and carefully place on top of the batter.
- Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes or until the cake is cooked through and slightly brown on top.
Recipe by Doe's Kitchen at http://doeskitchen.com/apple-cake/