Lemon And Poppy Seed Cake
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 175g spreadable butter
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- grated zest of 2 large lemons
- juice of one lemon
- 40g poppy seeds
- For the syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100g golden icing sugar, sifted
- 50g golden granulated sugar
- To finish:
- 1 rounded teaspoon golden granulated sugar mixed with 1 rounded teaspoon poppy seeds
- Grease and line a 20cm loose-based round cake tin
- In a mixing bowl, cream or beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Gradually add the eggs one at a time then add the lemon zest and juice and beat well until we'll incorporated.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixing bowl and fold into the mixture until all flour is well mixed in.
- Finally fold in the poppy seeds.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, levelling it with the back of the spoon.
- Bake at gas mark 3 near the centre of the oven for 40 minutes or until the centre feels springy.
- When the cake is ready, remove the tin from the oven to a board, then straight away
- mix together the syrup ingredients. If you feel you want a thicker syrup which is thicker and whiter just add more icing sugar.
- Next stab the cake all over with a skewer and spoon the syrup evenly over the hot cake
- Sprinkle with the sugar and poppy seed mixture over the top.
- The cake needs to cool in its tin before it can be removed and stored in an airtight container.
This is equally good made without the poppy seeds if you prefer.
Recipe by Doe's Kitchen at http://doeskitchen.com/lemon-and-poppy-seed-cake/