Chocolate Chip Chilli Cookies
- For the candied chillies:
- 55g caster sugar
- 60ml water
- 3 fresh red chillies (descended and finely chopped)
- For the cookies:
- 125 grams dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- 150 grams plain flour
- 30 grams cocoa powder (sieved)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 125 grams soft butter
- 75 grams soft light brown sugar
- 50 grams white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (cold from the fridge)
- 350 grams dark chocolate chips (or semi sweet chocolate morsels)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325ºF (gas mark 3).
- To make the candid peel, heat the water and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the seeded and chopped chillies and boil for 2 minutes, then strain away the water, setting the chillies to one side to cool.
- Melt the dark chocolate either in the microwave or in a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugars in another bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix together.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Finally stir in the candied chillies, chocolate morsels or chips.
- Scoop out 12 equal-sized mounds - an ice cream scoop and a palette knife are the best tools for the job - and place on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart. Do not flatten them.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes, testing with a cake tester to make sure it comes out semi-clean and not wet with cake batter. If you pierce a chocolate chip, try again.
- Leave to cool slightly on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.
Recipe by Doe's Kitchen at http://doeskitchen.com/chocolate-chip-chilli-cookies/