Chicken And Spinach Balti
- For the marinade
- 2.5cm/1in piece fresh ginger peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 lime juice only
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 75ml/2½fl oz plain yoghurt
- For the curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tomatoes, seeds removed, flesh finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- splash water
- 75ml/2½fl oz double cream
- 150g/5oz baby spinach leaves
- To serve
- small handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 100g/3½ oz basmati rice rinsed and drained, then cooked according to packet
- For the marinade, finely chop the ginger and garlic. Sprinkle rover the salt and chop a little more, then place into a bowl.
- Add the lime juice, ground coriander, chilli powder, ground turmeric and ground cumin to the bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and the yoghurt and stir to coat the chicken. Leave to marinate for at least 10-15 minutes (or for an hour if possible, covered in the fridge).
- For the curry, heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat and add the onion. Fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and the tomato purée and cook gently for about one minute.
- Add the chicken to the pan along with the marinade and a splash of water.
- Pour in the cream, turn up the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. There should be no pink when you cut into it. If pink, cook for longer.
- Add the spinach to the pan and stir until just wilted.
- Sprinkle over the coriander.
- To serve, drain the rice and divide between two plates. Top with the curry.
Recipe by Doe's Kitchen at http://doeskitchen.com/chicken-and-spinach-balti/