Avalon Blackberry and Apple Cake
Serves: 6-8 slices
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 150g (5 oz) butter, melted
- 350g (12 oz) cooking apples, peeled and cored
- 150g (5 oz) blackberries
- Half teaspoon cinnamon
- Few shavings of nutmeg
- 25g (1 oz) flaked almonds
- Tablespoon Demerara sugar
- Cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/Fan 140ºC/Gas 3.
- Lightly grease a deep 20cm (8in) loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, almond extract and melted butter into a bowl
- Mix well until blended, then beat for a minute.
- Spread half this mixture into the prepared tin.
- Slice the apples (I did mine quite thinly but Mary suggests slicing them thickly) and lay half on top of the mixture in the tin, piling mostly towards the centre.
- Add the blackberries.
- Add the rest of the sliced apples.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and grated nutmeg over the apples.
- Spoon the remaining mixture over the apples. This is an awkward thing to do, but just make sure that the mixture covers the centre well as it will spread out in the oven.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and Demerara sugar
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1¼–1½ hours until golden and coming away from the sides of the tin.
- Serve cold or warm with or without cream.
Recipe by Doe's Kitchen at http://doeskitchen.com/avalon-blackberry-apple/