Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced or crushed
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato passata
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 stalks of fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock
- 400gm can green lentils, rinsed and drained well
- Worcester sauce and salt and pepper to taste
- 800gm potatoes, peeled
- 80gm butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 100gm grated cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/Gas Mark 6.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes, until soft and opaque.
- Add the celery, carrots and garlic and cook for approx 5 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomato pesto, passata, bay, dried parsley, fresh parsley, dried oregano and stock.
- Simmer gently for 20 – 25 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in the lentils and season with a sprinkling of Worcester sauce, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash. Stir in the butter and milk.
- Spread over the lentil mixture and sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until bubbling and golden.
Recipe by Doe's Kitchen at http://doeskitchen.com/lentil-shepherds-pie/