This cake looks as though it should be in the centre of an old farmhouse table with a couple of farmers eating it and drinking mugs of tea! It’s got a very rustic look about it – as you can tell from the photo.
- 225g wholemeal flour
- 225g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 110g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 150g sultanas
- 150g raisins
- 1 egg - whisked
- 250 ml milk
- Preheat oven to gas mark 3.
- Grease an 8-inch diameter baking tin.
- Sieve the flours, tipping the bits of bran left in the sieve into the mixing bowl.
- Add the mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda to the bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
- Stir in the sugar and fruits.
- Add the egg and enough milk to make a dropping consistency.
- Tip the mixture into the greased tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and cooling on a cooling rack.