There’s nothing quite as nostalgic and soothing as a trifle. In the summer you can use all the summer fruits to make them attractive and colourful. In the winter you can use frozen fruits and be soothed by the cold custard. Lovely!
Individual Raspberry And Strawberry Trifles
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries and strawberries
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons sherry or orange juice
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Pack of 200 sponge fingers
- 400g carton chilled vanilla custard
- Half a cup of whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon toasted slivered almonds
- Use a fork to lightly mash fresh or partially thawed raspberries and strawberries with 2 tablespoons caster sugar and sherry or orange juice.
- Reserve 3 good strawberries for decoration.
- Quarter the remaining strawberries and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon caster sugar, to form a small amount of light syrup.
- Cut the unfilled sponge in half horizontally and then use pastry cutters to cut 12 circles of sponge to fit 4 serving glasses.
- Divide the strawberries in syrup between 4 glasses.
- Top with a layer of sponge and press down firmly.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon mashed berries in sherry or orange juice over the sponge.
- Pour half a carton vanilla custard over the berries.
- Top with a second layer of sponge.
- Spoon remaining berries over the sponge.
- Pour over remaining custard.
- Cover each glass with cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Toast the slivered almonds and allow to cool.
- Decorate each trifle with a swirl of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds and half a strawberry.