The pizza topping for your pizza dough is easy-peasy. I tend to be like Jamie Oliver and want it slightly hot – hence the addition of chillies, but you don’t need to add these if you don’t want to. If you’re making this for your pizza dough it should be cold or cool when it’s spread on the dough (before it goes into the oven). I used to spread mine when it was just made so it used to sit on the dough – and then get that sinking feeling and make the dough sloppy – not a good taste!
- Slug of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced; diced or however you like it)
- 1 small red chilli sliced (you can de-seed but I don't bother)
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- Tin of chopped tomatoes
- Bunch of basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Pour slug of olive oil into saucepan and heat up.
- Throw in your sliced garlic and chilli and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add a tin of tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of dried basil and stir.
- Throw in a few basil leaves that have been ripped up.
- Stir again; boil up and then simmer, simmer, simmer for about 30 minutes (you want the sauce to reduce so that it is quite thick).
- Place the saucepan lid over the saucepan but slightly ajar so that the liquid steams away slightly. What you want at the end of the cooking time is more of a paste than a sauce.
- After 30 minutes taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. You may not need pepper because of the chilli. If you are not using chilli you could add a little Cayenne pepper.
- Let your sauce/paste go slightly cold and then swish it through the food blender. You don’t want it smooth so not for too long. About 30 seconds. I sometimes don’t bother to do this as I quite like my pasta sauce quite chunky.
- Let your paste go cold.
When your dough is ready spread the paste over the top, add some chopped black and/or green olives (de-stoned kalamata olives are good too). Add some sliced mozzarella and if you’re a meat eater, add some sliced chorizo over the mozzarella. Add some ripped basil over the top and finally drizzle with some olive oil.
See this video for instructions on how to make the pizza dough for the base, and how to prepare the topping: