This dish is quick to make and yet so very tasty. Who would think that three simple ingredients could make a sublime sauce for spaghetti? Yet it does and it tastes so Italian – the lovely spaghetti coated in virgin oil with the chilli bite coming through – delicious! If you are pushed for time – or even money – this is such a good recipe to make. Again this Italian dish comes from Gino D’Acampo’s book Gino’s Pasta – how I love that guy!
You need to make this recipe according to your own particular taste. As for me, I love hot, hot chilli, so I leave the seeds in. You may prefer your chilli not so hot, in which case remove the seeds. If you’re like me and you love garlic then go ahead with the three garlics suggested for the recipe – but you might prefer less. But whatever you do, please use the best virgin olive oil you can afford.
You may want to think about serving some basil pesto with this dish which will give it an additional interest to the taste. It’s entirely up to you!
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium hot red chilli deseeded and thinly chopped
- 6 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 500g spaghetti
- Salt to taste
- Parmesan to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat and fry the garlic until just turning golden.
- Add the chilli and parsley and fry all together, mixing the ingredients together so that they are coated in the lovely olive oil
- In the meantime cook the spaghetti until al dente
- Add 6 tablespoons of the cooking water from the spaghetti to the garlic, chilli and parsley mixture and mix well, adding salt to taste
- Drain the spaghetti when cooked and tip back into the cooking pan
- Pour in the olive oil, garlic and chilli mixture and stir over a medium heat for 30 seconds to allow flavours to combine
- Serve with grated Parmesan